Fraud & Consumer Alerts
Stay up to date with the most recent fraud and consumer alerts on this page. If you have any questions about fraud and/or consumer alert notices, please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information... Don't forget to check out our Privacy Notice!
6/23 - FRAUD ALERT: We have members reporting that a fraudster is spoofing our phone number and pretending to be a member service representative requesting private account information. Please be aware and cautious. We will never call you and request sensitive information like your Online Banking password. If you are ever unsure, hang up and call us at the number listed on our website – (540) 663-2181.
Did You Know? June 15th is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
According to the NCUA Office of Consumer Financial Protection, analysis by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network indicates that elders face an increased threat to their financial security by both domestic and foreign actors.
This issue is important because studies show that financial exploitation is the most common form of elder abuse, and yet only a small fraction of incidents are reported. Additionally, NCUA’s research reveals that estimates of annual losses to older adults have ranged from $2.9 billion to $36.5 billion.
How can seniors protect themselves from these increased threats to their financial security? Credit Unions like Topside FCU can help protect older members by:
- Providing members with financial literacy education and financial counseling services
- Having a trained staff to detect and report elder financial exploitation
- Using NCUA and other federal resources and guidance to improve credit union programs and policies
For tips and more information, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s resource section on their website dedicated to helping older adults protect themselves from financial exploitation. Members can also contact us or visit our Financial Education page on our website for financial resources and information. This is just one of the many perks of your membership with Topside Federal Credit Union.
Protecting your accounts is a top priority, our dedicated staff constantly monitors your accounts for suspicious activity.
Ways to Protect Your Account
- Update passwords and usernames often by using a combination of letters (capital and lower case), numbers and special characters (e.g. & or %).
- Set credit and debit card usage notifications.
- When you plan to travel, notify the Call center at 540.663.2181, an alert will be placed on your account.
- Freeze your credit or debit card if misplaced or stolen, 1.877.302.5253
If you suspect you're a victim of fraud or identity theft, call Topside Federal Credit Union immediately at 540.663.2181, so we can instantly put a hold on your account.
Then check out what the FEDERAL TRADE Commission advises you to do if your identity is stolen with this step by step guide, https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0009_identitytheft_a_recovery_plan.pdf
Articles & Alerts
- According to the FBI, there has been an increase reprots of online extortion scams due to COVID19 crisis. Learn more here.
- Wawa Security Breach. New debit and credit cards are being issued to members who were affected - Learn more here.
- PSA on Payroll Phishing Scam - Helpful Tips
- Fraud alert for all checks and money orders - Learn more here.
- UPDATED Equifax Cyber Security Incident - Click here for information. Fair Trade Commission instructions on how to place a Fraud Alert click here.
- Video Scam Targets Members Routing numbers - Protect yourself by using Topside FCU bill pay.
- Official Check Fraud Alert - Read more here.
- 12 point checklist for victims of Identity Theft
- NCUA Posts New Online Resources to Help Consumers in Fighting Identity Theft - See more here.
- Protect Yourself from Credit Card Fraud - How to here.
- Avoid Malware on Your Mobile Devices - Read more here.