Fraud & Consumer Alerts
06/24/2021: Official Check Fraud Alert
It has recently been discovered that counterfeit NSWC FCU Official Checks may be in circulation. If you can answer yes to any of the below questions you may be inadvertently involved in a scam or are being scammed.
- Have you received a NSWC Federal Credit Union Official Check? All official checks should now come from Topside, not NSWC.
- Does the check have one of the following signatures?
- Is the Official Check information handwritten?
- Does the seven-digit check number begin with 308 or 302?
- Is the return address something other than PO Box 519, Dahlgren, VA, 22448?
- Is the City and State of the Credit Union listed as Ashburn, VA?
- Did you receive a NSWC Federal Credit Union official check after communicating with someone via email in reference to a job posting or the sale of an item?
- Have you been asked to deposit a portion of the funds, keep a portion and then return a portion via money gram, western union, wire or other methods?
- If you were selling an item online was the amount of the official check more than the amount that you were selling the item for?
- Did the official check arrive via US Mail, FED EX, UPS or DHL either unexpectedly or from someone different than the person you have been communicating with?
If you are able to answer yes to any of the above questions, please contact Topside at 540.663.2181 to verify your official check. If you cash or deposit a fraudulent official check, your financial institution may seek full payment from you. At Topside, our goal is to protect your best interests. Your assistance in helping us prevent the spread of check fraud is greatly appreciated.
Stay up to date with the most recent fraud and consumer alerts on this page. If you have any questions about fraud and/or consumer alert notices, please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information... Don't forget to check out our Privacy Notice!
Never will we ever ask for the following things covered in the video below:
1/22/21: Be on the lookout for this Pay a Person Transfer Fraud Scam.
6/23/20 - FRAUD ALERT: We have members reporting that a fraudster is spoofing our phone number and pretending to be a member service representative requesting private account information. Please be aware and cautious. We will never call you and request sensitive information like your Online Banking password. If you are ever unsure, hang up and call us at the number listed on our website – (540) 663-2181.
Did You Know? June 15th is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
According to the NCUA Office of Consumer Financial Protection, analysis by the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network indicates that elders face an increased threat to their financial security by both domestic and foreign actors.
This issue is important because studies show that financial exploitation is the most common form of elder abuse, and yet only a small fraction of incidents are reported. Additionally, NCUA’s research reveals that estimates of annual losses to older adults have ranged from $2.9 billion to $36.5 billion.
How can seniors protect themselves from these increased threats to their financial security? Credit Unions like Topside FCU can help protect older members by:
- Providing members with financial literacy education and financial counseling services
- Having a trained staff to detect and report elder financial exploitation
- Using NCUA and other federal resources and guidance to improve credit union programs and policies
For tips and more information, visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s resource section on their website dedicated to helping older adults protect themselves from financial exploitation. Members can also contact us or visit our Financial Education page on our website for financial resources and information. This is just one of the many perks of your membership with Topside Federal Credit Union.
Protecting your accounts is a top priority, our dedicated staff constantly monitors your accounts for suspicious activity.
Ways to Protect Your Account
- Update passwords and usernames often by using a combination of letters (capital and lower case), numbers and special characters (e.g. & or %).
- Set credit and debit card usage notifications.
- When you plan to travel, notify the Call center at 540.663.2181, an alert will be placed on your account.
- Freeze your credit or debit card if misplaced or stolen, 1.877.302.5253
If you suspect you're a victim of fraud or identity theft, call Topside Federal Credit Union immediately at 540.663.2181, so we can instantly put a hold on your account.
Then check out what the FEDERAL TRADE Commission advises you to do if your identity is stolen with this step by step guide, https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0009_identitytheft_a_recovery_plan.pdf
Articles & Alerts
- According to the FBI, there has been an increase reports of online extortion scams due to COVID19 crisis. Learn more here.
- Wawa Security Breach. New debit and credit cards are being issued to members who were affected - Learn more here.
- PSA on Payroll Phishing Scam - Helpful Tips
- Fraud alert for all checks and money orders - Learn more here.
- UPDATED Equifax Cyber Security Incident - Click here for information. Fair Trade Commission instructions on how to place a Fraud Alert click here.
- 12 point checklist for victims of Identity Theft
- NCUA Posts New Online Resources to Help Consumers in Fighting Identity Theft - See more here.
- Protect Yourself from Credit Card Fraud - How to here.
- Avoid Malware on Your Mobile Devices - Read more here.